Tool Design Engineer
- Location: Minnesota
- Employment Terms: Regular
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Hours Per Week: 40
- Starting Salary Range: Competitive
- Required Education: High School or GED
- Required Experience: 2 years
WCS Industries in North Branch, Minnesota, is looking for a Tool Design Engineer to be part of our growing company.
Tool Design Engineer
Tool Design Engineer is primarily responsible for identifying and developing the manufacturing process for the cold heading operation including creating a heading progression, tool design, and identifying material type and size. Additional responsibilities include managing the tool room and meeting staffing needs and development.
Technical knowledge of various OEM applications and the related critical requirements and the ability to translate this knowledge and apply it internally during capability analysis is a key function of this position. A candidate will work with tool room, manufacturing leads, production staff, suppliers, and customers to ensure effective and efficient completion of tooling need of approved new product projects.
- Determine material specifications and size to meet customer and design requirements.
- Design header tooling which includes specifying dimensions, tolerances, calculating volumes and defining cold heading progressions.
- Establish and maintain relationships with tool suppliers in support of procuring tooling to meet designs at quoted costs and within project timelines.
- Manage tooling inventory to ensure needed tool/inserts/fixtures are available for production and within annually set budgets.
- Determine customer technical product requirements by supporting the Sales & Engineering staff while completing direct contact with customers.
- Review customer product requests and new product developments to determine how best to meet the requests considering current manufacturing capabilities and if necessary what new capabilities may be needed.
- Support, participate and at times lead Advance Product Quality Planning(APQP) projects –
- Facilitate and promote use of appropriate problem solving techniques for effective root cause analysis and successful corrective action.
- Work with customers to resolve rejections and complaints.
- Read customer prints, understand tolerances and their effects on the final product.
- Participate in building and maintaining the process routings of products.
- Assist in the development and execution of manufacturing plans including a strategy for developing and implementing a cutting edge manufacturing environment capable of meeting the needs of customers. Review completed work orders and identify necessary changes or opportunities for improvement
- Provide and manage to realistic budgets and forecasts.
- Manage and monitor performance toward stated operational goals and objectives.
- Champion productivity improvements within setup reduction, elimination of material handling and specific automation enhancements, and other areas as defined.
- Identify and assist in the simplification and standardization of manufacturing processes.
- Document training material and train all employees as necessary. Specifically train and lead tool room personnel with assembly and machining techniques.
- Assist as needed with corrective actions and root cause analysis, safety related projects, and office related projects.
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading trade publications; attending educational workshops; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.